Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dialing It Back...

On Friday I made two transactions: I sold my remaining 550 shares of AHS (at $4.25) and reduced my MAS 2013 LEAPS by 25 contracts (sold at $0.80 per contract).

If you click on the "zz AMN Healthcare Services" label on the right you'll see AHS has been a lot of work, a lot of ups and downs, and very little profit.  But I guess sometimes that's just how it goes, right?  Anyway, although I still think the shares are undervalued, they were such a small % of my portfolio that it just wasn't worth holding them anymore.

The MAS LEAPS, on the other hand, have turned out really well over a relatively short amount of time.  I bought 125 contracts at $0.45 about 2 months ago, so selling 25 of them at $0.80 is great!  Unlike AHS, with MAS I'm just trying to be opportunistic and take advantage of the price Mr. Market is offering, so don't be surprised if I continue selling in the days/weeks to come.

The other reason for selling both AHS and MAS was to make my portfolio a little less risky.  The market has rallied nicely since the start of Q4, and as a result the % of my portfolio in cash had fallen to the high 20's.  However, after Friday's transactions my cash % is back in the low 30's, and if the market continues to rally I'll probably continue to trim back some positions.

Questions?  Comments?  Email mevsemt@gmail.com