Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Returns as of Q3 2010

Well, the quarter's over so it's time to write a quick post on my returns - I started 2010 with $107,514 and finished the quarter with $104,494.  I didn't make any deposits or withdrawals, so the decrease in value was driven by a decline in aggregate of my stocks.
  • On an absolute basis, my portfolio declined 2.8% during the first three quarters of 2010. Annualized, this rate of return is -3.7%.  YTD the S&P (w/ dividends reinvested) is up 3.5%.
  • I've been tracking my returns for 4 years and 9 months, during which time my annual rate of return is 13.3%. Over the same period the S&P returned 1.5% annually. In other words, over 4 and half years I've been outperforming the S&P by about 11% per annum.
Unfortunately, YTD I've underperformed the S&P by a margin that can't be considered insignificant.  However, as I've mentioned before, my portfolio is quite concentrated and I'm optimistic about my holdings - so I'm not overly concerned about my recent underperformance... yet.  Anyway, you can see my current holdings below (click on the picture to zoom in).