Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Current Holdings and Random Musings

Well so far it's been a very tough Q3, both in absolute and relative terms. After marginally outperforming the S&P through Q2 things have taken a turn for the worse, and YTD I'm underperforming the S&P by a wide margin. However, with a highly concentrated portfolio, big swings in performance are bound to happen, and hopefully recent history isn't indicative of things to come.

For my current holdings, AHS in particular has been a thorn in my side. The company recently reported results, which weren't bad by any means. HOWEVER, the company also announced an acquisition which will be completely paid for with newly issued stock, thereby materially diluting existing shareholders. My estimate is this will destroy about $2 to $4 in value for existing shareholders. Of course, the stock has gone from $8'ish to $4'ish, which I think is an example of a typical "Mr. Market" over reatcion. All things considered, I think this stock is worth $10 to $15 per share (assuming management doesn't make a habit of diluting shareholders).

GMXR has also been a big thorn in my side. Natural gas stocks in general have been hammered, and GMXR in particular has been killed because of its high level of debt. I think the risk/reward proposition at today's price is pretty compelling, and I'm considering doing one of two things; 1) doubling down 2) trading GMXR for a similarly punished E&P company. The logic behind #2 is that my account is taxable, and with significant gains from SHLD, USG, WTM, and DFS, I'm sitting on roughly 28K of capital gains for 2010 (ouch!).

Generally I try to stay away from making broad market predictions, I figure I'm better served by trolling for pockets of opportunity. HOWEVER, I do read the predictions and observations of other smart investors, and I try to incorporate any inferences/insight when I make high-level portfolio allocation decisions. IMHO the two best sources for this are John Hussman's weekly comments (www.hussmanfunds.com) and pretty much anything published on PIMCO's website (although I'm partial to Bill Gross's monthly commentary). Again, this is just my opinion, but if you read everything they've published over the last six months (which will probably take a day or so) you'll automatically become a better investor.

Anyhow, right now I've got about 40K (or 43%) of my portfolio in cash (obviously this is a huge %), so clearly I'm worried about downside risk. This is in the realm of gut feel, but personally I'd be much more surprised if the DOW goes to 12K than if it goes to 8K. And assuming it does go to 8K it'll be nice to have some cash on the sidelines waiting to be deployed.