Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Returns as of Q2 2010

I started 2010 with $107,514 in my portfolio and finished the quarter with $101,294. I didn't make any deposits or withdrawals, so the decrease in value was driven by a decline in aggregate of my stocks.
  • On an absolute basis, my portfolio declined 5.8% during the first two quarters of 2010. Annualized, this rate of return is -11.3% (although negative, this is still slightly better than the S&P).
  • I've been tracking my returns for 4 years and 6 months, during which time my annual rate of return is 13.4%. Over the same period the S&P returned -1.9% annually. In other words, over 4 and half years I've outperformed the S&P by over 15% annually.

Obviously, beating the S&P by 15% every year is quite good. HOWEVER, as I've said before, I have a very concentrated portfolio - a few good picks can make a huge difference in performance - so I still have no idea whether I'm just lucky or if I'm doing something right...